Any other year, we would be celebrating with you at an industry holiday party. But, of course, this isn’t a typical year.
However, we couldn’t let the holidays begin without wishing you good health, laughter and perhaps even a few cocktails.
As we close a year that has certainly challenged us all, we remain grateful for the friendships and partnerships that we share.
This season, you may be donating to a charity in need. In the spirit of giving to our industry, we wanted to share our top nine charities that support U.S. veterans. Each charity is ranked by the percentage of total expenses that go directly to their programs and services. This list has been a part of our holiday tradition for many years and we hope you’ll join us in giving.
From all of us at Boscobel, we wish you a safe, happy and healthy holiday season!
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Charitable Service Trust – 100% The DAV offers support to physical and psychological rehabilitation programs that provide direct service to wounded, injured or ill veterans. Donations help develop and maintain special rehabilitation programs for veterans coping with service-connected conditions that may hamper their lives. Key programs include mental and physical therapy, food and shelter (and more) provisions to homeless vets, rehabilitation programs and transportation.
- Operation Second Chance – 100% For the past 16 years, Operation Second Chance has been dedicated to U.S. veterans and their families, from all branches of the military. This charity helps military personnel and veterans transition back to duty or to civilian life. It also supports the recovery and rehabilitation of wounded soldiers. Their work extends to modifying housing to accommodate disabled veterans, aiding the families of these brave men and women, and supporting various needs that arise for our country’s beloved and honorable veterans.
- Gary Sinise Foundation – 98.23% The helping hands and hearts at the Gary Sinise Foundation stretch outwards to support all those who sacrifice so much to defend the U.S., including veterans, active-duty military, first responders and their loved ones. They have several key programs to support our nation’s protectors, including building special smart homes that are adapted to help severely wounded soldiers, rehabilitation programs for both veterans and families who have lost their own hero, financial support and more.
Military Social Services
- Operation Gratitude – 100% Since being founded in 2003, Operation Gratitude has helped not only military heroes through volunteer service initiatives, but also first responders. This charity sends out more than 300K care packages annually, delivering food, self-care products, handmade goods, entertainment items, letters of support and more to every branch of the military. The organization provides American civilians with several ways to say, “Thank you,” to the brave men and women who defend our country.
- Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation – 98.23% In honor of firefighter Stephen Siller, who sacrificed his life to save others on September 11, 2001, this foundation honors the families of fallen first responders, gold star families and wounded veterans. Currently celebrating its Season of Hope, the foundation is providing 36 mortgage-free homes this holiday season to some of the United States’ bravest heroes and their families. This charity has over $250M dedicated to the multiple programs it runs.
- Operation Healing Forces – 96.11% With a mission to serve the nation’s active-duty military, ill and wounded veterans, and their families, Operation Healing Forces provides therapeutic retreats to help these individuals start and/or continue the journey of healing – physically, mentally and emotionally. In this safe and protected environment, war-torn men and women can safely break through the silence to openly discuss their personal and battlefield hardships.
Military Family Support
- Folds of Honor – 98.23% In honor of the sacrifice paid by countless military service members, this family-centered foundation provides scholarships to the children and spouses of our nation’s fallen heroes, as well as disabled veterans. Since 2007, the organization has delivered on its mission to educate the legacy left behind by the men and women who gave their lives to defend our country.
- Blue Star Families – 95% Founded in 2009 by military spouses, the mission has always been to help military families prosper while their loved ones serve our country. Through this foundation, families are connected with individuals and organizations to create strong communities with an abundance of support for one another. Some of their programs include fighting financial insecurity with resources built for empowering family and spouse career development and providing important support for caregivers.
- Fisher House Foundation – 94.10% Best known for its network of comfort homes, the Fisher House Foundation builds houses near major military and VA medical centers around the world. These homes are available for military and veterans’ families to stay while a loved one is receiving treatment, at no cost. Since its beginning, the Fisher House Foundation’s program has saved families an estimated $500M in out-of-pocket costs for transportation and lodging.